Search This Blog

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Ayilara 1980

Agama lizard -
orange and blue exclamation
on a concrete wall

Baking on asbestos sheets
Spread beneath our kite-stitched sky

A vee of egrets
fluttering fingers follow
white chevrons on nails

Palms slap against old rubber
Tyres race on broken asphalt

Dogs chasing the street
a tangle of arms and legs
marks our homeward flight

Sudden fright at the back gate -
A red hen has hatched her brood

Elastic moments
stretched before sleep
remembering,
Forty-Second Street

***-on the balcony, watching kids playing outside. Supposed to be working on proposal due on Monday...

2 comments:

  1. Faffer! I love it when you do descriptive poetry. Knowing I can't! I just can't. I've tried and failed woefully. But this is not about me. I not only can see it, I can actually smell it. We all have a 42nd street tucked away safely in our memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To all those who think I mess around on company time: I DID finish the proposal and it went out, printed and bound, on Monday as planned. (OK, I admit, it barely made the deadline) ;)

    Not usually a memories person (as a lot of old schoolmates will testify) but been feeling that nostalgia thingy a lot recently. Must be impending birthday causing it. God, I HATE getting old!

    ReplyDelete

You don't have to say anything. But if you're determined...